Serial to USB adapter...
Ant
2010-12-01 22:22:00 UTC
Hi!

Since I will be upgrading my computer with new motherboards, CPU, RAM,
etc. and still use an external USR Sportster 33.6k dial-up modem once in
a while, I noticed all motherboards for i7 setups do not have serial
ports anymore. So, I looked for an adapter like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812191022 ... I
have never used one before and was wondering if these work well under
Windows XP Pro. SP3, 64-bit Windows, and Debian/Linux?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Applied mathematics will always need pure
mathematics, just as anteaters will always need ants." --Paul Halmos
( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
Fred McKenzie
2010-12-01 23:31:41 UTC
Post by Ant
Since I will be upgrading my computer with new motherboards, CPU, RAM,
etc. and still use an external USR Sportster 33.6k dial-up modem once in
a while, I noticed all motherboards for i7 setups do not have serial
ports anymore.
Ant-

The advertisement looks good. There is probably a way to make it work,
but contacting the manufacturer is a better way to find out. It might
be handy if you have other needs for a serial port.

Another approach is to spend about the same amount of money for a USB
56K dial-up fax modem. Zoom model 3095 and USR model 5637 are two that
I'm aware of. You may benefit from the higher speed if your phone line
will support it.

Fred
Ant
2010-12-03 20:20:34 UTC
Post by Fred McKenzie
Post by Ant
Since I will be upgrading my computer with new motherboards, CPU, RAM,
etc. and still use an external USR Sportster 33.6k dial-up modem once in
a while, I noticed all motherboards for i7 setups do not have serial
ports anymore.
The advertisement looks good. There is probably a way to make it work,
but contacting the manufacturer is a better way to find out. It might
be handy if you have other needs for a serial port.
Only for dial-up modems. :/
Post by Fred McKenzie
Another approach is to spend about the same amount of money for a USB
56K dial-up fax modem. Zoom model 3095 and USR model 5637 are two that
I'm aware of. You may benefit from the higher speed if your phone line
will support it.
Are they reliable as the serial ones like my USR Sportster 33.6k modems?
I cannot go faster than 28800 (~3 KB/sec for compressed datas). I also
love my old modem's lights.

I tried two black Hayes v.92 USB Series 0375
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220701772479 )
under various PCs and Windows and they like to lock up (the modems)
after disconnecting and I am forced to reboot. I also couldn't get their
speakers to work. I heard bad things about USB modems. And yes, I used
the drivers from their CDs and Internet (couldn't find the newer ones if
they exist).
Ant
2010-12-03 20:21:23 UTC
Post by Fred McKenzie
Post by Ant
Since I will be upgrading my computer with new motherboards, CPU, RAM,
etc. and still use an external USR Sportster 33.6k dial-up modem once in
a while, I noticed all motherboards for i7 setups do not have serial
ports anymore.
The advertisement looks good. There is probably a way to make it work,
but contacting the manufacturer is a better way to find out. It might
be handy if you have other needs for a serial port.
FYI. The company said Linux is unsupported. None of their products
support that OS. :(
Jasen Betts
2010-12-02 07:16:28 UTC
Post by Ant
Hi!
Since I will be upgrading my computer with new motherboards, CPU, RAM,
etc. and still use an external USR Sportster 33.6k dial-up modem once in
a while, I noticed all motherboards for i7 setups do not have serial
ports anymore. So, I looked for an adapter like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812191022 ... I
have never used one before and was wondering if these work well under
Windows XP Pro. SP3, 64-bit Windows, and Debian/Linux?
All the single-port ones I've tried worked out of the box with the
stock debian kernel and modules. these were FTDI, SiLabs and Prolific
chips.

I don't know which chip the pictured unit uses. see if you can get
the USB id or the name of the chip.
⚂⚃ 100% natural
Ant
2010-12-03 20:34:06 UTC
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Since I will be upgrading my computer with new motherboards, CPU, RAM,
etc. and still use an external USR Sportster 33.6k dial-up modem once in
a while, I noticed all motherboards for i7 setups do not have serial
ports anymore. So, I looked for an adapter like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812191022 ... I
have never used one before and was wondering if these work well under
Windows XP Pro. SP3, 64-bit Windows, and Debian/Linux?
All the single-port ones I've tried worked out of the box with the
stock debian kernel and modules. these were FTDI, SiLabs and Prolific
chips.
Interesting.
Post by Jasen Betts
I don't know which chip the pictured unit uses. see if you can get
the USB id or the name of the chip.
I don't know if this helps:
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JU-HS4011-S2 seems the same one
as NewEgg's. I don't know which version NewEgg sells either. I also
couldn't find the chipset in the v3 PDF manual. I did e-mail SIIG's
support about it.
Ant
2010-12-07 18:40:48 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
[...]
I asked the company about its chipset: "This product use a Prolific
PL2303HX chipset." So it looks like this is OK? Will Kernel 2.6.32-5-686
have the driver for it? Note that I haven't bought it since I am still
researching. ;)
--
Quote of the Week: "To the ant, a few drops of dew is a flood." --Iranian
Jasen Betts
2010-12-10 10:48:45 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
[...]
PL2303 is supported by linux. 2.6.30 (which is the source I have lying around)
I'm not sure what HX means
⚂⚃ 100% natural
Ant
2010-12-10 16:07:02 UTC
On 12/10/2010 2:48 AM PT, Jasen Betts typed:

Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
[...]
Hmm, I wonder if my Debian's compiled Kernel 2.6.32-5-686 package has it.
--
"Your mom's legs are so hairy, the ants think they're in a jungle."
--unknown
Jasen Betts
2010-12-11 01:19:36 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
[...]
It seems to, as a module, I'm running the same stock kernel as you now.

***@gonzo:~$ dpkg -S /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.ko
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686: /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.ko

There's a udev rule that should load it automatically and call the
ports /dev/TTYUSB0 /dev/TTYUSB1 /dev/TTYUSB2 etc...

From the datasheet the PL2303HX looks to be the single port device that
I've encountered before, so if this is in the four-port unit there's
probably four of them with an ordinary USB hub chip between them and
the usb connector. This should work just fine with linux

On the newegg site Roger says at the bottom of his negative review:

: Other Thoughts: The deivce seems to contain a usb hub and 4 prolific
: usb to serial converters. I have had problems with single port usb to
: serial converter containing a Prolific chip before. At the moment I
: use a 6 port pci card but it fills up 3 backplane slots.

(looks like my speculation was correct)

For linux it should work fine, but may swap port numbers with other
usb-serial adaptors (if you have any - eg mobile phone cabl) unless
you write a udev rule to lock it in place by its USB address (or possibly
by the serial number of the internal hub) PL2303 chips don't have serial
numbers.

Getting PL2303 working under windows XP can be challenging, sometimes
PDA SYNC software sometimes sits on them and causes problems for other
software.
Ant
2010-12-11 12:08:43 UTC
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
[...]
From the datasheet the PL2303HX looks to be the single port device that
[...]
Oh how fun. So if I only use one port for the old external USR Sportster
33.6k dial-up modem, I sitll have to deal with this?
--
"The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as follows: restless
aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal annihilation of
Jasen Betts
2010-12-13 07:41:50 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Getting PL2303 working under windows XP can be challenging, sometimes
PDA SYNC software sometimes sits on them and causes problems for other
software.
Oh how fun. So if I only use one port for the old external USR Sportster
33.6k dial-up modem, I sitll have to deal with this?
It depends if you have any other usb devices with the pl2303 chip in
them.
⚂⚃ 100% natural
Ant
2010-12-14 06:06:05 UTC
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Getting PL2303 working under windows XP can be challenging, sometimes
PDA SYNC software sometimes sits on them and causes problems for other
software.
Oh how fun. So if I only use one port for the old external USR Sportster
33.6k dial-up modem, I sitll have to deal with this?
It depends if you have any other usb devices with the pl2303 chip in
them.
Ugh. Do you know which ones that do off your head?
--
"It's them!... Not THEM, the giant ants?!" --Girl and Crow
Jasen Betts
2010-12-14 07:57:48 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Getting PL2303 working under windows XP can be challenging, sometimes
PDA SYNC software sometimes sits on them and causes problems for other
software.
Oh how fun. So if I only use one port for the old external USR Sportster
33.6k dial-up modem, I sitll have to deal with this?
It depends if you have any other usb devices with the pl2303 chip in
them.
Ugh. Do you know which ones that do off your head?
No. lsusb will tell you.

things like mice, keyboards. joysticks, scanners, printers ,and
webcams should be safe.
⚂⚃ 100% natural
Ant
2010-12-14 15:41:14 UTC
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Getting PL2303 working under windows XP can be challenging, sometimes
PDA SYNC software sometimes sits on them and causes problems for other
software.
Oh how fun. So if I only use one port for the old external USR Sportster
33.6k dial-up modem, I sitll have to deal with this?
It depends if you have any other usb devices with the pl2303 chip in
them.
Ugh. Do you know which ones that do off your head?
No. lsusb will tell you.
things like mice, keyboards. joysticks, scanners, printers ,and
webcams should be safe.
OK, I can't do it now since I don't have the computer hardware upgrades.
Would old XP Pro. SP3's Device Manager tell me this information too?
--
"I love ants. Do they have uncles? Ha Ha!" --Elmo from Sesame Street
(unknown episode)
Jasen Betts
2010-12-16 19:05:13 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
No. lsusb will tell you.
things like mice, keyboards. joysticks, scanners, printers ,and
webcams should be safe.
OK, I can't do it now since I don't have the computer hardware upgrades.
Would old XP Pro. SP3's Device Manager tell me this information too?
probably. I'm not sure exactly what you need to look for, but
pl2303 has usb device-id 067b:2303
⚂⚃ 100% natural
Ant
2010-12-18 20:44:21 UTC
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
No. lsusb will tell you.
things like mice, keyboards. joysticks, scanners, printers ,and
webcams should be safe.
OK, I can't do it now since I don't have the computer hardware upgrades.
Would old XP Pro. SP3's Device Manager tell me this information too?
probably. I'm not sure exactly what you need to look for, but
pl2303 has usb device-id 067b:2303
Ah, I found a motherboard that has a serial port: EVGA X58 SLI. However,
this will only be for a few years and I will still run into the problem
for future upgrades. Bah.
--
"I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find
tractors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright
Ant is/was listening to a song on this computer: R-Type I.hes ($2F)
HumBug!
2010-12-19 03:39:34 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
Post by Ant
Post by Jasen Betts
No. lsusb will tell you.
things like mice, keyboards. joysticks, scanners, printers ,and
webcams should be safe.
OK, I can't do it now since I don't have the computer hardware upgrades.
Would old XP Pro. SP3's Device Manager tell me this information too?
probably. I'm not sure exactly what you need to look for, but
pl2303 has usb device-id 067b:2303
Ah, I found a motherboard that has a serial port: EVGA X58 SLI. However,
this will only be for a few years and I will still run into the problem
for future upgrades. Bah.
If you absolutely HAVE to have a serial port, there are 2 options that
will work well into the future.

First, a serial card, often having more than 1 port.

Second, maintain an older computer.
Ant
2010-12-19 04:26:49 UTC
Post by HumBug!
First, a serial card, often having more than 1 port.
They make PCIe serial cards? I will have to look into that.
Post by HumBug!
Second, maintain an older computer.
Ugh, I don't want to keep the old computers. :)
--
"We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette
HumBug!
2010-12-19 22:55:21 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by HumBug!
First, a serial card, often having more than 1 port.
They make PCIe serial cards?
http://www.softio.com/

http://www.perle.com/products/Multiport-Serial-Card.shtml

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=248&zenid=163dcc3e70e116b8f2aee9a1f8446f8b

Just to get you started..
Ant
2010-12-20 02:14:00 UTC
Post by HumBug!
Post by Ant
Post by HumBug!
First, a serial card, often having more than 1 port.
They make PCIe serial cards?
http://www.softio.com/
http://www.perle.com/products/Multiport-Serial-Card.shtml
http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=248&zenid=163dcc3e70e116b8f2aee9a1f8446f8b
Just to get you started..
Interesting. Hmm, maybe I am better off buying a new external modem with
USB in the future to avoid getting a PCIe card.
--
"Antacid: What ants use to get high." --unknown
Jasen Betts
2010-12-20 08:28:33 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by HumBug!
Post by Ant
Post by HumBug!
First, a serial card, often having more than 1 port.
They make PCIe serial cards?
http://www.softio.com/
http://www.perle.com/products/Multiport-Serial-Card.shtml
http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=248&zenid=163dcc3e70e116b8f2aee9a1f8446f8b
Just to get you started..
Interesting. Hmm, maybe I am better off buying a new external modem with
USB in the future to avoid getting a PCIe card.
you're like;y to find the modemn uses the pl2303 usb-serial chip :)
--
⚂⚃ 100% natural