Is there an easy way to configure a "winmodem" in Linux ?
Mathieu Guimond-Morganti
2008-06-11 14:20:39 UTC
Hi !
I was trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04 LTS) on my
grandparents' computer. They have a dial-up connection (56K), because
they live in a small village where there isn't high-speed Internet yet.

Before the installation, I wanted to make sure that I could set up their
Internet connection correctly. However, their modem is connected into
port COM#5 (which is odd).

Because there was no way to set up their modem correctly, I searched on
Google about modems that are connected to COM#5.

It turns out that it's most likely a "winmodem".

Is there an easy way to configure a "winmodem" in Linux ?

Thank you !

Mathieu Guimond-Morganti
***@trashmail.net
Mathieu Guimond-Morganti
2008-06-12 22:08:15 UTC
Post by Mathieu Guimond-Morganti
Hi !
I was trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04 LTS) on my
grandparents' computer. They have a dial-up connection (56K), because
they live in a small village where there isn't high-speed Internet yet.
Before the installation, I wanted to make sure that I could set up their
Internet connection correctly. However, their modem is connected into
port COM#5 (which is odd).
Because there was no way to set up their modem correctly, I searched on
Google about modems that are connected to COM#5.
It turns out that it's most likely a "winmodem".
Is there an easy way to configure a "winmodem" in Linux ?
Thank you !
Mathieu Guimond-Morganti
It looks like this group is DEAD. I guess that there aren't much people
using both Linux and a dial-up connection these days (or that their
Internet is too slow to post news).

If anyone reads this, one day or another, have a nice day,
--
Mathieu Guimond-Morganti
***@trashmail.net
Daniel
2008-06-13 10:18:38 UTC
[...]
I'm here with my dual boot Win98/Mandriva2007 on a dialup connection but
I just have my Motorola modem plugged into Com#1 and it works.

Whats so special about your grandparents winmodem that it has to be on
Com#5??

Daniel
B. T. Raven
2008-06-26 02:12:37 UTC
Post by Daniel
[...]
His is probably a Compaq type winmodem built into the mother board. If
he plugs an external modem into the com port he can probably get it to work.
Daniel

Ronbo the Clown
2008-08-22 19:36:40 UTC
Post by B. T. Raven
His is probably a Compaq type winmodem built into the mother board. If
he plugs an external modem into the com port he can probably get it to work.
ehhh... no, not necessarily.

Winmodems are the scourge of Lin users trying to connect to the net via
dialup. They're called WIN modems for a reason - Linux is simply not
supported... or encouraged or even condoned by the manufacturers.

There is a company, http://www.linmodems.org - I think, that will make a
driver for you if you send them money along with info on your OS & modem.

Regardless of whether www.linmodems.org is the place to get the custom
driver, they should still be the second place you go after checking with
your particular operating system's website FAQs & forums.